Mandolina - Nebbiolo - Solvang

| |

Solvang is a unique, pedestrian-friendly, Dutch town in the Santa Barbara area. Many are so excited to go, plan trips around seeing it, only to realize they're "done" with it after about 2 hours.

Fortunately, there are many other places to go around Santa Barbara - Downtown, Los Olivos, Foxen Canyon... but if you wanted to come all this way to Solvang, why not stay a little longer?

I suggest going to Mandolina (tasting room). They make their wines in "Italian" styles. Super Tuscans, Nebbiolos. Barberas. Last time I was in Solvang, Mandolina was the last stop on our wine trail, and as the saying goes, "After 3 wineries, you're not tasting - you're DRINKING." I did manage to walk out with tasting notes, and 6 bottles. 2 Super Tuscans and 4 Nebbiolos.

After coming home from the trip, I organized my wine collection and came across my 4 bottles of Nebbiolo. 4 bottles? I didn't even remember why I purchased this! I had to try it.

Light bodied, good balance of cherries and oak, not too much acidity but just enough to make me salivate. Easy to drink. Perfect for making any weekday a special day.

I checked my tasting notes and I saw that the original price of this is $20. Then, I looked at the fine print. "Passport weekend: buy 6 bottles and recieve 50% off". Oh, that's why I have 4 bottles of this stuff!

While in Solvang, I'd also recommend visiting Mandolina's sister tasting room, Lucas and Lewellen, which focuses on more California style wines. (Yes, we brought home 6 of their bottles, too!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment