Let food drive your wine

| |

***
When I first started tasting, I was on a mission to find affordable wines that I could lounge on the couch with. I enjoyed food with wine, but the wine was the main event.

I kicked up the enjoyment factor a bit by letting food help me decide the wine, and now, they are BOTH the stars. DOUBLE the enjoyment!


Many people ask me "I can't enjoy wines. I want to, but I don't know how." Before I'd always suggest "Try everything and narrow down your choices." But now, I suggest, "Well, what do you want to eat?" The great thing about learning to drink wine with food is that you're not forced to drink a large amount, nor are your taste buds abused from drinking flight after flight. You first enjoy the food (which you already know how to do) and then you see if the wine provides a different, better experience.

I am by no means a cook, but this is a quick dish that I make when I need a healthy munchy:

Mediterranean Pizza (all ingredients were bought at Trader Joe's. Ingredients can be added, taken out according to your preference, therefore I do not tell you how much of each to put in)



- Toast a whole wheat pita bread. Spread eggplant hummus after wards.

- Chop tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic cloves, walnuts. Throw into a bowl. sprinkle in fat-free feta cheese, slice in some avocado, and if you want more texture, add some sliced almonds

- Finishing touch: olive oil (just a tad) and balsamic vinaigrette (don't add too much at first. Taste and add because the flavor can be overwhelming). Mix in oil and balsamic into bowl of ingredients. Taste and add more of anything as needed.

- Spoon the yummy stuff in your bowl onto you hummus covered pita bread. Enjoy with a lighter-bodied red wine like a Pinot Noir, or enjoy outdoor with a summery Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc!
***

1 comments:

Chung-Ah @ Damn Delicious said...

Mmmm this mediterranean pizza looks great!

Post a Comment